Thursday, October 1, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things


How do you feel about those bad movies where some action hero picks up a can of soda only to have it strategically turned towards the camera so that every moviegoer can read "Pepsi?" Now I'm not picking on Pepsi, but let's face it, they are media whores. So while the next few paragraphs might seem like nicely written product placement, that's not what I'm here for. I just find a few things in life that I really enjoy and/or make me happy for a variety of different reasons. I'm here to tell you about them, paint a little picture of myself, and maybe you can share yours as well.

Let me just start with food and get that out of the way. I love food. A little too much. Somehow I manage to still keep a girlish figure (okay - a decent post-baby figure) but I do like to indulge. Where my food preferences are brand-specific, I'll let you know. Because that can make all the difference in the world.


I like to drink: Freixenet Sparkling Cava (pseudo-champagne that comes in the black bottle), oakey Chardonnay, a Caipirinha, a cup of homemade black tea (preferably English Breakfast) with a little milk and sweetener.

I LOVE to eat: Stouffer's Macaroni & Cheese (I believe this has been made by God, himself), brie, pasta (especially cool shapes), Sabra Classic Hummus (just as good as homemade), Taco Bell Mexican Pizza, McDonald's french fries (hey - I didn't say this was a healthy list), parmesan-crusted Tilapia from Costco that my husband cooks (just Google this one and you'll see how popular it is), fresh strawberries with homemade whipped cream, cakes, pies, cookies...Okay, I better stop now.

Notice something missing? If you are a woman, you did. Nothing even remotely chocolate-related made my list. I'm just not a fan. I'll eat it with something or on something but I've always had a strange relationship with chocolate. I love brownies and chocolate cake. I don't like chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup, or a plain chocolate bar. Pack it full of stuff and I might eat it. Did you know Payday candy bar is made with chocolate? That's as close as I'd like to come.


But there is more to life than food. Yes, I've said it. There are other non-caloric things to indulge in. Here is the rest of my random list in no particular order: DKNY perfume (why did they stop making this?), my iPhone (only mine), Scramble (a highly addictive game on my phone), shopping at Marshall's, Origins Modern Friction, Amazon.com (a valuable resource for ANYTHING you might want), comfortable shoes (latest choices include Indigo by Clarks and MBTs), Tous handbags (too bad I can't afford any), my Nikon D80, Southwest Airlines, Body + Soul Magazine, and a really good book.

I've saved the best for last. I bet you thought I was nothing but a shallow drinking, eating, product-using writer. Not so, my friend, not so. There are also the intangibles in life that top my list of favorite things. My true favorite things? Hearing my son laugh. Having my husband call me on the way home to tell me to look outside at the beautiful sunset. Watching the trees that we planted 6 years ago flourish. My family - both immediate and extended.  Seeing my son show compassion towards animals. Taking a long hot bath. The smell when I open my linen closet. Knowing you have friends that truly care about you. And finally, swallowing that last sip of oakey Chardonnay and seeing my pup laying on the cold tile floor waiting for me to go to bed.


I know my list is a bit different than the one Julie Andrews sung about in The Sound of Music. But then again, I bet she never got to try Stouffer's Mac & Cheese. It's a fair trade-off.

No comments:

Post a Comment